Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins and turning 30!


So about 10 minutes after making a dozen muffins I quickly learned that you should make at least two dozen to last the troops. My oldest ate 6 within a 3 hour period. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I put candy corn Hershey kisses in them. He acted as though he won the lottery when he saw a big chunk of melted candy in his muffin. But than I realized, that's how I react to big chunks in my Dairy Queen Blizzards too. It runs in the family I guess.





This is probably my last entry before my big 30th birthday. And I am finally realizing I have turned into my mother. I have come to this conclusion for the following reasons: I wear cardigans, I spaz when my kids leave the house astrewn, I lick napkins to wipe my boys' faces, I become excited when I'm able to cook for A LOT of people, I have Longaberger parties, I get manicures and pedicures, all I want is happy kids, I have Joshua adopting his first kid this year so he can help people without. I talk to myself (while other people are looking at me). That should be enough for now. So this makes me feel like thirty is the new forty. I don't feel old, but I do feel time fleeing at a more rapid pace. And all of a sudden things are closing in around me. Should we have more babies? How am I going to afford college for my kids? Should we put more money into our retirement account? What am I going to do about this white streak in my hair? Do I really want need that new car? What kind of cookies am I making for Christmas? And what in the hell am I getting the kids for Christmas? Is Josh too old for Santa pictures? When are we going to finish our kitchen? How long will it take to sell our house? Do I write in my blog enough? Too much too soon. Ugh!





Thank God I have a wonderful husband that is pulling me away for the weekend. A nice "peaceful" weekend in New York City. I'm nervous because I'm leaving my baby boy, Hudson, for the first time since he was born. Joshua has pretty much set up house at my parents' and a couple of his friends' houses so I have gotten used to him being gone overnight, but not the baby. It feels too soon. Who's going to wake me up in the morning? I love having the morning all alone with the boys. One smiles and one frowns, they're a ying and yang duo. Hudson grabs his blanket and is all excited to start the day, while Joshua just wants to sleep cause he doesn't feel good today. I'm a great mom, I threaten him with anything that quickly comes to mind until he gets up, dressed and brushed in time to go to school.  Today though we skipped the bus and did the McDonald's thing.  He's still my baby too, just bigger and more independent.





But I am excited about finally getting to visit the Big Apple. We have over planned and probably over scheduled activities but I want to do it all. Saturday is our food tour of Greenwich Village so there will be a lot of pictures from that. But there's also The Met, Otto's Shrunken Head, Madame Tussaud's, Big Daddy's, Chelsea Market, Times Square, Tavern on the Green, Statue of Liberty needless to say we'll be busy. And my camera will be charging every night. The best part is going to be the roadtrip experience with just me and my husband. He has already decided that we are stopping for breakfast at Waffle House. Everyone should eat at a Waffle House sometime in your life. You'll be thankful for home cooked meals from then after.


And my sons pray for the next batch of Pumpkin Muffins


Dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and make a well


Toss in your wet ingredients and mix it all about


It even looks good raw.....maybe


Heavily spray your muffin pan


Take your spatula and make sure nothing is hanging around the bottom
(this would also be the time to throw in the candy)


Bake until fluffy(ignore that mound of mess beneath)


No frosting this time


Maybe a little bigger next time







Just a little cream to cut the sweetness:)


Candy Corn Pumpkin Muffins
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 cup chopped Hershey's candy corn kisses
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Make well in center.  In small bowl mix milk, pumpkin, butter and egg.  Add to well in flour mixture.  Mix in kisses and walnuts.  Spoon into greased muffin tin.  Bake 15-18 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes and remove from pans. 


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy and lovely!