Monday, October 26, 2009

Yooper Pasties. And not the ground beef type either.


Good Monday morning. Just a note to anyone contemplating doing the Greenfield Village Halloween visit. It's totally worth the overpriced tickets. All four of us had a blast. The one year old was dressed up and received candy, the eleven year old took over a hundred pictures while my husband and myself loved all the history and pumpkins. It took over an hour to do and we didn't get home till well after 9pm but we're already planning our Christmas visit to the village.






Back to the pasty. My Grandma Leslie made these all the time. Cheap and good. The only thing I have accomplished to do that she never does....keep the amount of pasties to a limit. I am all for listening to people tell me how great my cooking is but I just don't have time to run a bakery for my family's pasty obsession. With this recipe I made 8 pasties and a pie. The pie only had crust on the top.

Start off with Sirloin Pork Steak and Sirloin Petite Beef Steak. I used about 1.25 lbs of both. Cut up into 1" cubes. Season with salt and pepper.



Next get two yellow onions and four yukon gold potatoes. Cut those into 1" cubes, cut the onion smaller if you wish, and season with salt and pepper.







Combine everything in your bowl. Make sure you see pepper. It will cook into the meat and potatoes. Now push it to the side so you can do the dough. I hate dough. I hate how my hands have to be washed 25 times or more to get it all off. And even then at night you somehow managed to miss one piece on your cuticles. And I'm just horrible at telling when it's at a good or correct consistency. This means I leave holiday pies to the experts...ie my mom.

This crust or dough consists of 1 stick of Crisco 4 cups of flour and approx. 1 cup ice cold water. Add or subtract said water as needed.



You want actually an oval and not a circle. You have to dump a small mound of your meat and potatoe mixture in the center and pull the dough over and pinch it closed.



Now remember I told you it wasn't the healthiest meal. Get a stick of butter. Cut into pats and place 1 good pat on top of your mixture before folding. If you cut the stick hard and messed up...correct with extra pat of butter.




Pull top and bottom parts of dough together. I use the roll and pinch method. From the middle of the pasty down to either side. If you end up with extra dough at the ends remove and place back into dough bowl.




I place everything on either parchment paper or a silpat. For pasties I used parchment paper. Worked wonderful, last year I lost a spatula and two pans.



Like I said earlier 7 pasties and a pie.....it's been a long weekend.




This is the reason my mom does pies and not me. I even shudder looking at it. But the taste of the pie made up for its looks.



Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes.









So here you have it:




Yooper Pasty

Filling:
1 1/4 lbs pork steak(sirloin chops)
1 1/4 lbs beef steak(petite sirloin)
4 large potatoes(yukon gold)
2 medium yellow onions
salt and pepper(alot)
1 stick of butter to top filling

Dough:
1 stick of Crisco shortening
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup of ice cold water(adjust accordingly)








0 comments: